recent posts

social media menu

How-to... turn a printer tray into jewellery storage

A while back I wrote about some different ways to store jewellery, for those with lots of bling...

...like my friend Abi, who sparked the idea in the first place by sending me this image:

...with a plea for inspiration about a less jumbly way to store it all.  Abi is one of the most organised people I know, she even has really lovely, ordered handwriting that looks like a midcentury take on calligraphy. (While I can only dream of such swish legibility.)

One of the ideas I suggested was to use a printer's tray. This is the one she liked the best, and so she found one and transformed her jumble into...

...this!

Looks great, I think. Helped, of course, by the fact that Abi has some very bold and beautiful baubles to display.

So here's what Abi (pictured below, uncharacteristically bling-less) did:


"I bought the tray at Kempton Antiques Fair for £12; got it home and power-washed it (using a Karcher jet wash, from around £100 at Argos, we had one already for cleaning the garden paving) to remove most of the decades of grime then I did a very rough sand to remove any splinters. 


"I had to remove some of the sections, to make room for larger pieces of jewellery (the Tatty D horseshoe, for example), this I did with a tiny modeller's hand saw; very fiddly but easy.




"Once I'd worked out where everything was going I used a combination of picture hooks to hang the jewellery from (small brass screw-in hooks for the earrings, rings and necklaces, and single and double brass picture hooks for the brooches). Once they were in I sanded it down again and decided against liming or varnishing it as I quite like it a little roughened.

"Whole thing cost around £20 to do and a few hours of graft to make! Hey presto: a unique and lovely thing that displays my bling to great effect."

No comments :

Post a Comment